I'm Going on a Grand Adventure!

In this post I regal you with on my exodus from the South to North, how it begins and some knowledge about long distance road travel, at least from my experience. I have traveled, by car, all the cross country routes at least once over my lifetime, and the route South to Florida and back twice, so I might know a thing or two about road trips, at least my way ;)

My last night in Florida was in a hotel room just outside St. Augustine, sipping the last of 

my box-O-wine.  Ahhhh, Chillax time.

 I was elated and emotionally overwhelmed by the time I checked in that night. I had worked a half day that day, my last day, then drove North to Orlando, about 2 hours, where I took my exam, passed! Then traveled further North to St. Augustine, Florida where I finally landed, exhausted, nerves a bit raw but excited, and emotions running high as I recognized I was truly on my way, beginning my adventure.

I slept well, rose early, only having about an 8 hour drive that day, half way to Vermont in Virginia where I would stay at a friends home for the night and then on to stay with my son and close friends for a few days before my departure overseas.

Day 1! ๐Ÿ’ชSTRONG LIKE OXE!
I began my drive with a positive spirit, my Pandora rocking ๐ŸŽตand fine weather๐ŸŒž. 
I enjoy driving and road trips in general. To experience the open road, watching the landscape roll by, observing different roadside attractions without stopping or stopping, depending on the time frame given for the trip,  cursing at the random obnoxious driver who cuts you off, ๐Ÿ˜–. Overall,  I enjoy the drive.

Florida turned into Georgia

Turning into South Carolina        

Then North Carolina                  


and finally Virginia  


It was an uneventful day but with good music, I was singing my heart out ๐Ÿ˜ƒ, humming along with my windows rolled down (yes, I am one of those who, in pleasant or hot weather, like to have my windows rolled down with the A/C on⛄),  my own feedbag full of snacking goodies, and an almost straight line of tarmac. 

Each state brought it's own unique observations but Virginia is for Lovers (see above Welcome Sign) and when I saw the welcome center, I pulled off breathed a sigh of relief and and went in to use the loo (aka, potty).

I am so thankful to have good friends. My childhood friend, Amanda Parks, has lived in Virginia for over 20 years, in a cute little bungalow style home. A lovely tree lined avenue, connected to other just as lovely tree lined avenues, creating a pleasing labyrinth of neighborhoods with the dotting of parks, eateries, and the metropolitan area near by for nightlife, museums, and other entertaining activities. She graciously let me use her home for the night. We didn't think we'd see each other that day, as she was departing on her own adventure overseas to Ireland but due to a snafu with her documentation she had to take of, we were able to have a short visit, hug tightly, and chat about my new adventure for possibly a lifetime and her anticipated vacation to lands that are close both our hearts and family relations, Irish, of course.

Best Friends Forever!
 

Road Tripping Knowledge and Tips:
While driving there are manners and an etiquette to follow, and most long distance travelers understand this language. Some of it is a discretionary choice, while others are absolutes along the roadways.

1) Packing.

This is dependent on who, how old, how long, and why you are traveling but  there are some simple guidelines that encompass all of these.

If you're like me, I just want to pack light and drive straight through. CLUE: The earlier you start your children with this idea, they become used to it and there are less hassles. Make planned stops, even one or two for their entertainment but mostly to pee and walk around for a few minutes. There are plenty of rest areas, or welcome centers that are full of things to see, eat, and do to satiate their need to,
๐Ÿ‘€ "see stuff".

Pack light, even if it's a week long trip, only pack what you need. If you're planning a nice evening or event, one giddy up outfit with accompanying shoes is enough, you CAN wear it twice. CLUE: If you roll your clothes in your bag, like little sausages, you will fit more in and there will be less wrinkles.
 Each child gets one bag they carry that has their entertainment resources in it. Let them pack it and help them choose wisely depending on the type of travel; car, plane, train, or boat.



A snack or feed bag as I like to call it, is crucial to any travel. Plane travel will discourage this but you can still get on and fly. Certain countries you can't bring in fruits, veg or plant material but you should be able to bring it on the plane. Pack an assortment of goodies that you or everyone with you will enjoy. They should be easy access, some of it nutritious, and bottles of fluids to stay hydrated. 

CLUE: You can also pack things for meals. I like to prepare and pack breakfast sandwiches ๐Ÿ˜‹, if it's an early morning start. A cooler with lunch stuff; ๐Ÿฅชlunch meat, tomato's, bread, mayo, etc. Then at one of your stops you can put these together, hang out at one of the picnic tables and take a little bit more of a break, plus is more cost effective....Kaching $ ! 
If flying or train travel you will want to make these in advance, add chips, a cookie, and special drink. 

*TSA won't let you bring through the drink, unless is less than 3 oz.... nips are okay, waahoo! 
(CLUE about that in the plane travel post)
So you may have to buy after security or bring an empty water bottle and fill once past all those nosey critters ;) 
Ahhh, my little pretty...hehe. (Creepy)


I'm sure all of you know to plan ahead as much as possible. Each type of travel brings their own hassles, I'll focus on car travel as that is what this part of the blog is about. I'll regal you with my plane travels later.....

2) On The Road!

I love to drive, it's my thing. Not so much with navigation but the actual driving, I've been told on the road I'm purrty darned good. That being said, there are always things to be on the watch for. 

You stay in your lane, I'll stay in mine! 
You'd be surprised how difficult this is for some folks. 

CLUE: When you are looking out your front window at the road ahead here's a tip that you are solid in the middle of YOUR LANE.  
Using your periphery vision ๐Ÿ‘€, if see the YELLOW line is visible off the left front bumper or corner of the front of your car and the WHITE line is visible off the right side bumper or corner of your car, that indicates you are in the  center of your lane.
There can and will be some variance due to the actual road you are traveling on but these guide...lines... you should have within your vision as you drive. 

Turn on your blinker  ! 
Yup, you guessed it. Most folks don't use their blinkers OR if they do, they turn it on aaaaassss they are turning into the lane. 
Proper etiquette and what we learn in Drivers Ed with Fran, Dan, or Stan, Mr. Instructor.... is to turn on your directional signal at least 100 feet, THAT'S LIGHT POLE TO LIGHT POLE DISTANCE or 10-15 seconds, YUP, COUNT OUT LOUD IF YOU NEED TOO, before making your move. Then looking not just in your rearview and side mirrors but a quick glance over the left shoulder to be sure the way is clear or at least maneuverable, safely. 

CLUE: These cars with the feature of telling you someone is within your blind spot, possibly, is handy but not fail safe. Look once ๐Ÿ‘€(rearview), look twice ๐Ÿ‘€(side mirror), look three times ๐Ÿ‘€(over the shoulder).
When we are traveling by car for long distances, usually we are traveling at an accelerated speed, generally 5-15 mph over the speed limit๐Ÿ’จ. Many times this is to keep up with traffic flow and the ๐Ÿ‘ฎcops won't pull you over but regardless, we are going faster than just around town or on smaller roads. This blinker etiquette should still be used everywhere but definitely on the interstates, highways, and freeways.

My Buddy and Me :)
The Road Travel Train or Speed Posse. 
A lot of times we recognize that we are travel with other vehicles that "happen" to be going the same way for a certain period of time or distance. 
Back in the old days, we did a tag team type of driving that went kinda like this:

๐Ÿš—Driver 1 take the lead for a certain time at an accelerated speed, then they would pull back to the rear of the posse.
๐Ÿš™Next driver would take the lead and resume the speed of Driver 1 ๐Ÿš—.
๐Ÿšš๐Ÿš›๐Ÿš—๐Ÿš™....and so on, until the whole line begins again with, yup, you guessed it, Driver 1.

This was so that we could speed over the limit, and with the technology back then of the police, essentially, they would only pull over the first car as the speeder. 
Now cops can and will pull over multiple speeders at once ....๐Ÿšš๐Ÿš›๐Ÿš—๐Ÿš™. They've gotten savvy and have become armed with the tools ๐Ÿ”ฆ๐Ÿ”ญ๐Ÿ“ข๐Ÿ“ถ๐Ÿ”ฎ to do so. Kudos! This definitely helps control truly crazy fast or under the influence drivers. 
However, we still form posse's ๐Ÿšš๐Ÿš›๐Ÿš—๐Ÿš™ when we drive and the flow still seems to work the same.  CLUE: I have found this very helpful when I'm traveling alone and for long distances. It keeps me engaged and not feeling alone should something happen. Often I'll meet these folks at gas stations, rest stops, or eateries and we start a conversation or a simple wave and smile of acknowledgement. A friendly gesture saying, 'we are looking out for one another'. 

Last point, then I'll stop with the advice ;)

3) Safety.

Depending on the weather and time of year you are traveling, it is always important to have a stocked trunk or spare tire well with safety and comfort items. 

Here's  a  good  list:

a. Flashlight or headlamp
b. Flashing lights or reflective hazard cones, flares, etc.
c. A blanket
d. A towel
e. A tarp or large piece of plastic (an old shower curtain will do nicely)
f. Extra shoes (preferably crappy ones) Boots in winter time
g. Water. This can be tricky in winter because it'll freeze if left in the car but try and remember to bring     plenty of fluids to drink if on a winter driving trip.
h. Non-perishable food/snacks (granola bars, packets of nuts, dried fruit), should you break down             become stranded these kinds of foods are high in protein and fiber, with some sugar to keep your         body going.
i. Rain or snow gear (jackets, pants, mitts, hats, etc.), an extra set is helpful to keep in the car.
j. First aid kit, even a small one.
k. Charging cords or charged battery pack for cell phones, computers, etc. should you be able to use         them.
l. One set of utensils to include a Swiss Army knife or one of those handy cork screws that has a small      knife with it. I even had a small tool kit tucked in the back of my car, very useful for many reasons.
m. Jumper cables

A trunk organizer is very useful to hold all these items, some of them can take up some space but I have found it's not that much of a problem.
 A couple of options



WRAP IT UP.

Traveling is fun and adventurous! Go out and enjoy, 1 night or many, even a lifetime....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final days! My Minimalistic Lifestyle Tips.

LAX Is Craaazzyyy!

How it all started, just a lil' history.....